2. Introduction of Academy Colleagues

Hey Everyone!

Hey Everyone!

by Caitlin Hochuli -
Number of replies: 1

Sorry I'm late to the party! We had a really busy week last week, and I didn't have time to hop on.  But I'm back in action! 

I teach environmental science to ninth and eleventh graders.  I will be going into my second year of teaching in Middle Georgia, in a rural town with only one high school in the county.  We're going through a bit of a transformation this year, easing the eleventh graders out of environmental science and introducing it still to the ninth graders.  We're also moving to block schedule, which I'm really excited about.  It gives use opportunities to really delve into topics deeper, but it's also only one semester with the students.  I feel like as soon as we get adjusted, it will be over! 

I really want to get ahead on teaching in our new format while I'm still working on revisiting the curriculum we built last year.  I want to improve greatly on climate change and climate issues because I believe it's so important and relevant to my students.  The difficulty is making it so.  How do I get them excited and tie it in all through the semester when we have so much we have to teach them? It's a fun challenge, and I'm hoping this course will help me be more successful in reaching our students.

I can't wait to get to know everyone, and I'm really excited to come up to the workshop.  I know I'm far away, but it's totally worth it.  I'm always trying to build my network of teachers because I just want to learn what has been successful for others and more tools I can bring to my students.  

In reply to Caitlin Hochuli

Re: Hey Everyone!

by Elise Trelegan -

Hi Caitlin and welcome to the Academy! We're glad that you're able to join us and are looking forward to your participation.