Integrating Action within programming

student action

student action

by Carole Blake -
Number of replies: 2

This was our first year teaching the new Earth Systems curriculum at PHHS. We were supposed to end the year with a capstone project that involved student action. It was to be our final and service learning hours. We learned that it is difficult to make a service learning project a final exam, but for the first time through I think we did a good job. We did a project on bees and their importance in biodiversity and pollinating food crops. Students came up with ideas to improve the bee population on campus and for the final project they made seed bombs in hopes of growing more pollinator friendly plants. We are already talking about ways to improve next year. We would like to start earlier and have the kids grow the plants from seeds and plant them in May. That way they would see the results of their plans.

In reply to Carole Blake

Re: student action

by Elise Trelegan -

Carole, I love that you're already incorporating student action into your classes. I hope you'll be willing to share your experiences with others during the Academy. I'm eager to learn more about your process for ensure that the action was "student-driven." This is often a challenge for teachers and it's exciting that you've been successful in it. If you have a chance to elaborate on how you facilitated the process I think it would be really helpful for all! 

In reply to Carole Blake

Re: student action

by Candice Autry -

What a beautiful way to put ideas into action.  Have you considered some type of data share about how the seeds will eventually grow, who had success, etc?  Awesome idea that will keep getting better as you continue!