Integrating Action within programming

Classroom/School ideas for integrating action with programming

Classroom/School ideas for integrating action with programming

by rachael coffey -
Number of replies: 8

Since I teach Agricultural Science I would like to focus on food related projects. Reduction of food waste is at the top of my list. There are organizations such as Food Rescue that already have processes in place to help students lead a food waste reduction (or donation!) program. We grow a garden at our school and much of the food has gone to waste over the summer because students aren't here. The Natural Resources teacher and I will be donating this food this summer and students will be volunteering over the summer to help. 

I am hopeful that our successful implementation of this program could be spread to the whole county!

In reply to rachael coffey

Re: Classroom/School ideas for integrating action with programming

by Elise Trelegan -

Sounds like you're already on the right track Rachael! It's great that you are already planning to have your students volunteer over the summertime in the garden. I wonder if there might be an opportunity to rope in another local organization who could help take some of the burden off of you and your NR teachers? If you have an active food bank they might be able to help and would also bring a neat social justice element to the project. 

by Anna Bella Sy -

I really like the idea of food waste reduction because a lot of people were getting hungry and yet a lot of food were wasted. So if you and your students will come up with a plan on reducing it, I think it will be a huge impact in your community.

by Anna Bella Sy -

I really like the idea of food waste reduction because a lot of people were getting hungry and yet a lot of food were wasted. So if you and your students will come up with a plan on reducing it, I think it will be a huge impact in your community.

In reply to Anna Bella Sy

by Annale Carlos -

I also agree...the food waste reduction lesson is great idea! Getting the students involved in this kind of program will really create a huge impact. It will promote awareness of "Going Green".

by Sharicca Boldon -

I like the idea of eliminating food waste. I am eager to see the yield from the community garden near the school that we revitalized this spring. I like your thinking around set up partnerships to utilize the produce that is grown. There may be  a way for us to distribute the harvests via our school food pantry distributions this summer. 

by Sharicca Boldon -

I like the idea of eliminating food waste. I am eager to see the yield from the community garden near the school that we revitalized this spring. I like your thinking around set up partnerships to utilize the produce that is grown. There may be  a way for us to distribute the harvests via our school food pantry distributions this summer. 

by lynn Faulkner -

Rachel et al:

This sounds great any school that has a garden could do this.  Baltimore has a wonderful program maybe could build on this in the Elkton Cecil co area...  would be worth contacting them to discuss

https://www.hungryharvest.net/

by SEQUOIA WRIGHT -

I love the idea of reducing food waste. I know n Baltimore city the issue is food deserts. For many communities there is no place to get fresh quality produce and many of the residents do not drive. We have community farms as well and I think it would be a great opportunity to teach the students as well as the kids how to reduce waste and ways to prepare and preserve the produce to extend the shelf life so that there won't be so much waste and they will develop healthier eating habits as well.