Integrating Action within programming

Integrating Action

Integrating Action

by Sebastian Weeks -
Number of replies: 1

The Action Component of a MWEE is an excellent opportunity to have experiential, inquiry-based, and student-centered learning occur in the classroom, as students are critically thinking (individual or group) about creative ways to solve climate related problems. Studies have shown that not only do students learn better this way, they are also more engaged with the content at hand. 

Some ideas I have to anchorage student action is to showcase some of the solutions that are already out there (Project Drawdown from this module is indeed a fantastic resource). Students have the option to then, either, come up with ways to further the goals of solutions I've presented or others they've researched on their own that they find interesting or rewarding, or develop a solution of their own. The creative engineering design unit link is a great example of this developing their own solutions. One possibility could be creating a prototype for permeable pavement. Alternatively, in helping further other goals, an action plan that could be very effective is a fundraiser and/or letter writing campaign to local government officials.

In reply to Sebastian Weeks

Re: Integrating Action

by Kayry Segarra -

I love the idea of writing to a local government official. Often times I think students forget or don't know that science is applicable to their everyday life and being more informed means that they can impact change.