What are your thoughts on how the content from this section (as well as previous sections) might support components of a MWEE?

MWEE and Carbon Cycle

MWEE and Carbon Cycle

by Karen Doerrler -
Number of replies: 1

Essential Elements (Issue Definition, Outdoor Field Experiences, Synthesis and Conclusions, Action Projects) or Supporting Practices (Active Teacher Support, Classroom Integration, Local Context and Sustained Activity) of a MWEE. Don't feel like you have to come up with ideas for each Element or Practice, just the ones where you see a potential fit from your perspective. 

I am interested in figuring out ways to use data sites with my IB Environmental Systems & Socities students, in part because they have to complete a research project that can be based on published data.  In looking at this content, I came across the buoy data site from NOAA https://buoybay.noaa.gov/investigations/data-classroom that I would like to investigate more fully.  This is one example of something I could use for Sythesis & Conclusions, as well as Supporting Practices - all elements of that component.

I also like the graphs found on this site: https://nca2014.globalchange.gov/highlights/overview/overview

We could also study our local stream and investigate local land use as Outdoor Field experiences and action projects.  I don't have specifics in mind yet, but ideas are always percolating.

With my Biology classes, the carbon cycle is a part of our curriculum.  For the Classroom Integration section - I did an activity this past year similar to the one described, but used pencil/paper and a data chart to keep track of the movement of carbon through the cycle.  The activity I did could be improved by using beads as a visual, concrete reminder of carbon flow.  Also, the kids didn't connect what was causing the carbon to move based on this activity alone.

With this in mind what investigative questions could you consider that would support the MWEE?  I was just looking at data on jellyfish populations in the Chesapeake Bay, and I wonder if there is similar data for the Delaware Bay, and what links between that and climate change there might be.

What investigative questions could you consider for work during our field day in Lewes?  Some type of population census would be interesting.

In reply to Karen Doerrler

Re: MWEE and Carbon Cycle

by Elise Trelegan -

Karen I'm glad that you found yourself on the CBIBS site! You might have noticed that there is a connection between different water parameters and sea nettles... defintely an interesting and engaging topic for your students, especially if they recreate on the Bay! Nice job calling out some of the specific essential elements that you could play into. We'll dive deeper into the MWEE next week too.