What are your thoughts on how the content from this section (as well as previous sections) might support components of a MWEE?

MWEE

MWEE

by Mark Segall -
Number of replies: 2

My current thoughts in response to this body of content are as follows:

In Smyrna, it appears that flooding could clearly be defined as an issue related to climate change (Local Context). With some guidance (Teacher Support), students could generate driving questions to address this issue.

This may be a stretch, but students may be able to correlate records of coastal flooding in or near Smyrna with their own observations of rings on fallen tree trunks. Hence, they would not need to core the trees in order to observe the rings. Fallen trees can usually be found with some searching. Of the various proxy methods presented in this unit, it appears that analyzing tree rings may just happen to yield some useful data that students can directly obtain and that does not require sophisticated laboratory equipment. Obtaining this data would constitute an Outdoor Field Experience. Conclusions from this study could validate the use of tree rings to provide evidence of natural events that have occurred and could be presented to a wider audience.

In reply to Mark Segall

Re: MWEE

by Elise Trelegan -

This is an interesting idea, Mark! Is there a field site in mind that you think you would be able to find multiple fallen trees? Are there any partners that you might work with that can help you?

In reply to Mark Segall

Re: MWEE

by Matthew O'Connor -

Mark, I have had my students do tree core samples in the past and they really enjoyed it. I think this would be a great way for students to look at the historical impacts of coastal flooding and other major weather events.