Local Impacts Discussion

Action

Action

by Michael Burkett -
Number of replies: 0

I'm actually back in action as I've been on vacation and now trying to catch up...

Increased rain and soil erosion are evident.  I need to make sure that I can verify that it's not weather, which I should be able with the articles and information provided.

Our school setting is on top of a mountain and surrounded by a beautiful hardwood forest and housing complexes.  There is also a new school being built and will be operational this coming academic year.

I'd like for my students, after teaching about many of the impacts of global warming, to calculate the area of impervious surfaces and low pervious surfaces using drone photos. 

My STEM class could design and build the drones for them!

We can identify problem sights within our campus and surrounding areas and come up with ways to reduce runoff.  Forested areas surrounding our school have been damaged by runoff from our fields and parking lots.  Our cross country course and areas of our campus are also impacted by runoff.

I'd then like my students to present their ideas to the admin and find a way to make it happen.