What are your thoughts on how the content from this section (as well as previous sections) might support components of a MWEE?

Thoughts about a MWEE

Thoughts about a MWEE

by Megan Cloutier -
Number of replies: 3

I have done a MWEE previously with the Midshore Riverkeepers group a few years ago and my students and I created a pollinator garden on campus. The students loved planning it from the beginning to the end and because of this they were engaged throughout the entire process, which is not always easy to achieve with high school students. It certainly had its challenging moments but in the end it was worth it. Unfortunately, our garden did not survive the winter. 

In terms of a MWEE involving an aspect of climate change, this for me is going to be a bit more challenging since climate is an area that I am not so well versed in. So, these ideas still need some refinement but here are the ones i have so far:

Investigative question - How are the students at Kent Island High School impacting the Earth's climate in terms of contributing to the greenhouse gas, CO2? or maybe instead, the question could be How is Kent Island High School contributing to the greenhouse effect in terms of amount of CO2 it produces annually?

Synthesis and Conclusions- students can collect and analyze the CO2 emissions from the main car models on campus or contact the Board of Education and ask the Buildings Supervisor what amount of CO2 the appliances in the school produce. 

Action Project idea- Students can share their data with the Principal and/or school board  in terms of ways/solutions to decrease the amount of CO2 that the school produces annually using the data to make their point.

Local context- Kent Island High School students and school

In terms of an investigation question for the workshop, pethaps there could be some way to determine how much CO2 is being produced by the university on an annual basis. Or perhaps, we could take a look at how climate change is impacting the aquatic life in the DE bay. 

In reply to Megan Cloutier

Re: Thoughts about a MWEE

by Tiamo Johnson -

Hi Megan,

You presented some nice questions and focus points for the students.  I am conducting a week long STEM program for students (middle and high school) focused on climate change in July, and I am trying to determine what project/investigation they can engage in that will be relevant and meaningful to them during the course of the week.  I want to give the students an enriching experience and in the end give them something to think about as it relates to their role in the problem solving process.

- Tiamo

by Christopher Petrone -

Megan, I've been learning recently about appreciative questioning; interesting stuff. It turns negative questions into positive. So instead of asking how your students are impacting the climate or atmospheric CO2 concentration, you could ask what are your students doing to improve climate change or atmospheric CO2 concentration. Students would still have to do research on how they are impacting the environment/climate and what they can do about it, but with a more positive frame.

Something to think about!

by Kayry Segarra -

I think you generated some great investigative questions. Perhaps with a high school group you could have a few questions available for them, but also give them the opportunity to come up with one of their own.