2. Introduction of Academy Colleagues

Hello!

Hello!

by Joselyn Hermoso -
Number of replies: 8

Hello everyone? I'm Joselyn Hermoso from Baltimore City Public Schools. I missed the May 21st session and just catching up. I just got my online access today....yay!!!

Like I said, I teach in Baltimore City, currently I am teaching Biology and Physics  classes among our dear students with IEP's.

I decided to join the academy because I know this course will be relevant to my teaching assignment this year and next school.  I  know NOAA has huge amount of resources related to NGSS- Biology and I would want to explore those to be able to use in the classroom.

Thanks!!

In reply to Joselyn Hermoso

Re: Hello!

by Anna Bella Sy -

Hi Joselyn! I am also from Baltimore City, I agree that since our standard was change from CLG to NGSS  it was difficult to find resources that will fit our new curriculum.

by James Rittner -

Hi Joselyn, I'm a Baltimore City Schools teacher as well and am very glad to hear that someone from my district will be joining us. Welcome! What school do you teach at?

by Amy Fuentes -

I'd love to pick your brain about science education with children with IEPs.  I, too, am a special education teacher. I teach 5th grade.  I feel I work so hard to make sure all of my students can access and learn the science curriculum.  When asking about how science will be taught by my soon to be 6th graders, I was told by someone in the middle school, "Well, they "all" (children in special ed.) fail science. What? Something is seriously wrong there. 

In reply to Amy Fuentes

by Joselyn Hermoso -

Hi Amy!

Nice to know that I'm not the only one Special Ed joining the workshop. I agree, it is very challenging to teach Science to students with IEP's....the reason we are here :-) to give them what they need. I hear that "they, all" statement a lot. 

by Candice Autry -

Hello Joselyn!

Looking forward to meeting you at the Academy.  I'm happy to show you some of the resources NOAA has related to biology.  Check this link:  https://dataintheclassroom.noaa.gov