What are your thoughts on how the content from this section (as well as previous sections) might support components of a MWEE?

MWEE

MWEE

by tracie evans -
Number of replies: 4

My students are very visual at this age and I actually found a few videos and games, as well as websites to help explain climate to them.  I wish I could get a piece of that large  ice to show them myself, how old the ice is and how the climate can be shown in the ice.  Maybe I could try to show them with ice of different colors using food coloring. I guess we will go take a look at some trees.  I always knew that you could tell how old a tree was from the rings.  However, I did not know that you could also tell the climate over the years by looking at the tree rings.  The students know how to help save the earth by recycling.  (We don't even have recycling bins in school.  Maybe now I should get them to obtain some.)  What the students do not know is that some things we do contribute to the climate change and is causing this warming.  I want to be able to teach them some things that the little people can do to help.  They are not anywhere near the point of driving, so getting a Hybrid is kind of out the question. However, there may be steps they can take at home and tell their parents, as I can plant that seed. If only the entire world would follow suit.  I knew it was a reason that I should stop eating beef!  I am learning so much.  I was never interested before now.  I am surprised to learn that some of 2016 (and 2015) was pretty much the hottest month since.....

Side note.  I am going to South Africa with my daughters youth choir next month and I understand that they are having a drought.  Now I understand a little better as to why that is happening and can explain that to her.

In reply to tracie evans

Re: MWEE

by Elise Trelegan -

With young students it's often best to be very focused. I would find one specific and tangible concept for your kiddos to consider. There is a great activity where students create their own ice cores that you might enjoy. One of our past Climate Academy participants actually did the write up. I've included it as a PDF attachment. More info on ice cores: https://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/climatechange/ice_core_ideas.html

What part of South Africa are you going to? I just spent a month there this past December/January and the water crisis was very real. South Africans take it seriously. We were mostly staying at AirB&Bs and everyone made an extra effort to tell us about it and requested that we shower less frequently, wash dishes in certain ways, etc. Water crisis aside, it's an amazing place to visit!  

In reply to Elise Trelegan

Re: MWEE

by tracie evans -

Wow thanks for the info!!  both!!!!  I am going to Johannesburg and Capetown.  Her youth choir was invited to sing at Nelson Mandela's 100th bday celebration where Obama will be the speaker.