What are your thoughts on how the content from this section (as well as previous sections) might support components of a MWEE?

What are your thoughts on how the content from this section (as well as previous sections) might support components of a MWEE?

by Michael Burkett -
Number of replies: 2

I thought the lessons and videos in this section were very valuable, great resources in one location.  The content in itself will be very valuable to share with my biology students.  

When covering the H2O, N, C, and other cycles, this would be the opportunity to cover climate change.  We presently participate with Appalachian Env. Lab in Frostburg, MD (UMCES) to collect and analyze data to see how schools impact nitrates.  In this we collect rain and runoff samples to see how incoming atmospheric nitrates compare to nitrates, terrestrial and atmospheric, running off our school grounds.  Of course the burning of fossil fuels plays heavily in atmospheric nitrates.

I'm struggling with coming up with a MWEE to tie in climate change.  I've thought of doing a field survey of tree species diversity and taking some core samples to "read the past" with respect to rainfall and use this as an opportunity to discuss how the geographic range of plant and animal species are changing.  How hard would it be to find pollen grains in pond sediments for more proxy discussions?   I'm taking this course so I can come up with some MWEE ideas.  

In reply to Michael Burkett

Re: What are your thoughts on how the content from this section (as well as previous sections) might support components of a MWEE?

by Martha Peller -

Michael - I really like the idea of doing a field survey and collecting some data on climate change. Is there a University near by that you could partner up with to help students collect this data? Is there a national park near by? I know that the scientist that work in National Parks usually have a wealth of data collected from field surveys, and they often have workshops that you can take on how to make that information accessible to students of all ages. 

In reply to Michael Burkett

Re: What are your thoughts on how the content from this section (as well as previous sections) might support components of a MWEE?

by Elise Trelegan -

Michael I responded to your comment on another post, but essentially I think you're right in that it can be tricky but that there are opportunities. Be sure to take a look through the  discussions to see what others are thinking about. Proxy data like you mentioned is a GREAT resource and there are certainly places where you can get your hands on what you need. Pat Harcourt, who is also one of the facilitators of this course, is well-versed in resources for proxy data and I think she will be talking about it specifically during one of the evenings.